Thursday, 19 May 2011

Adobe Actobat pro silent installer

After uninstalling Adobe CS4 and installing CS5, I noticed no Acrobat Pro. I do remember that it did have a seperate disk. So after speaking with computer services there is a silent installer on Marks test2 computer, in Applications/Adobe CS5/setup.exe.  I'm not exactly sure if it installs the whole thing or just Acrobat Pro, but I did have trouble trying to run it.

Mark emailed me and suggested Mapping his distribution share as a drive letter. This worked.

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

nviro-cleansolutions search engine optimisation SEO

I'm finally getting around to submitting the website to the search engines. I've found this which is very sensible reading. Basically you don't have to use the meta tags.

Found this free search engine submission form which might be good

Monday, 16 May 2011

Mac OS X Default Paper Size plist file

For some reason in one room in particular when someone prints to the Dell Colour Laser 3110 the default paper size is Letter. I thought I'd set it up a long time ago not to be. So I've found this thread which mentions the file location for default paper size:


It contains:


Add this to a plist file to the "details" tab in a computer list group in workgroup manager and see what happens.

Thursday, 12 May 2011

iPhone 3G GPS

So now, after many trials and tribulations the phone is working well. But I've just found that the GPS is not working. There are many posts which describe when you update your phone to baseband 06.15 then you loose GPS! Doh! and no way back. Well, I've just seen this video which might look promising.

I shall update this post.

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

iPhone 3G earpiece problem

I've now an iPhone 3G with 4.1 OS and 06.15 baseband. Jailbroken and unlocked. The only problem now is that the earpiece does not work. So the plan is to replace the earpiece. I have two options, either send it off or do it myself. To send it off is about £35, to do it myself is about £4, so I'm not sure.

Here is a youtube video on how to dismantle.

Here is a video to replace earpiece.

Otherwise, I could take it here and get it sorted for £29.00 excluding postage. Or this one at £35 which has good reviews.
Thinky, thinky, thinky.

Wednesday, 4 May 2011

iPhone recovery

Well, after just getting an iPhone off eBay I've found it's got an error 1015, which means it was jailbroken! I've found a nice little tutorial here which might work.

Yep, it worked. But no sim. Ended up jailbreaking version 3.1.2 with blackrain but the new sim card doesn't work. I found this which looks promising. This has got a good list of all the firmwares that are available.

So, at the moment I have iOS 3.1.2 which is jailbroken with blackrain. The trouble is that it doesn't like the sim card. This might have something to do with the baseband. This is the firmware for the modem. I found this page giving a brief description. I have baseband 06.15.00. This person has baseband 05.14.02 and his is locked to AT&T but he has iOS 4.2.1. I can only assume that this baseband does not like the modem (is not compatible). I would like to take it back to what it normally is.

In the end I would like a factory iphone and then go from there. I've found this which explains how to downgrade the baseband to something normal. This can be unlocked so it's not completely pointless.

I shall start by simply letting iTunes update the phone normally. It's probably going to go wrong but we'll see. Yep, doesn't like it, as soon as it reboots it goes straight back to the DFU.

I re-did it to version 3.1.3 and it says that the sim is not valid for this phone. It basically means that the phone is not "unlocked". I have two choices, one is unlock it officially, the other is to unlock it unofficially. It looks like o2 charge £15! But I recon that is worth it. But I need to find out which carrier it is locked to?

Well, after finding an old o2 card lying around the house (a bit of a fluke), looks like something different is happening. It now says "Waiting for Actiation" "This may take some time".

Just found an informative website which says that if you are not the original owner then it is difficult (maybe impossible) to get it unlocked!

Just found this post which says how you can get around the recovery loop in 4.2.1 version. - Didn't work!

So, I've just restored successfully to 4.1.0! Works beautifully. And now to unlock it. But first to jailbreak! So I've found this post. Bloody complicated but it's working at the moment. After this the plan is to install the unlocking software which is called ultrasnow.

Yep, worked a dream! Next was this post. A little long also, but worked also. Must note that it did come up with this error when installing ultrasnow. But seems fine.

netdv:open nodename nor servname provided, or not known

I did notice that it disconnected from the wireless and this might have prompted the error messages. Anyway, it now says "t-mobile" and I've just rang the home phone!! Yay!!!!!